Friday, September 18, 2009

Artist Spotlight: Christopher McVinish

Christopher McVinish's exhibition of new work will open on Saturday 5 December from 3-5PM. You can see a preview of this show by clicking here.

Who (or what) do you consider your artistic inspiration?

My artistic inspiration is the world around me. Every time I visit a city, be it New York or Melbourne there is some image that captures my imagination and points me towards a further exploration of my work.


Do you listen to music while you work, and if so, what is most often playing?


I listen to all sorts of music while I work from contemporary Jazz to Ambient to Post Rock. Usually whatever is my latest Amazon Purchase.

Who of your peers do you respect the most?

Of my peers I guess someone like Jeffery Smart but really it would be more International Artists and Photographers like Eric Fischel or Robert Polidori or Gerhard Richter.

Do you have any habits/rituals or strange superstitions when painting?


No rituals or superstitions. Once a painting is drawn up it is full steam ahead.

When did you decide to become an artist?

I started my first oil painting when I was about 12 years old so well before then.

What is your favourite colour?

My favourite colour would to cobalt blue.

Do you have a favourite painting or work of art? If so, what is it?

I don't have one painting that is a favourite but any Vermeer or Rembrandt would be up there and I would kill to own a Joseph Cornell Box.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin