Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sackville - Artist Statement - 2005 Exhibition


I began painting in watercolour over 20 years ago and was inspired by such artists as Ellis Rowan and Charles Demuth, and the luminous works of J.M.W. Turner.

When I was approached to paint flowers I was intrigued by their softness, delicacy and fragility, qualities I sought to capture in everything I painted. As I continued to paint flowers over many years, I developed a great passion for them, and began to explore different ways to express their vibrant beauty.

I have always enjoyed using graphite on paper to create subtleties of form and tone, light, shade, strength and softness, particularly in portrait making. However, I find that watercolour is the ideal medium for my still life images. I love the translucency and vibrancy of watercolour, the way the colours run and blend together creating their own hues. Watercolour offers an amazing depth of tone and brilliance, as well as the softest shades, through which the white paper shines as light or is disguised. It beautifully captures the glow of porcelain, the fold of drapes and the radiant colours of fruits and flowers.

Over the years my work has become much more expansive. I have gained freedom through greater size and increased intensity of colour. Although I am occasionally tempted by other painting media, watercolour somehow maintains its hold over me.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin