Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Artist Spotlight: Pam Sackville

Who (or what) do you consider your artistic inspiration?

I find the play and effects of light and shade to be endlessly inspiring; whether it be on faces, hands, flowers or drapery, or the distant hills, ocean waves or trees.

Do you listen to music while you work, and if so, what is most often playing?
I love classical music, and often listen while I work. Schubert, Mendelsohn, Brahms, Mozart, Handel; chamber music, symphony or opera. Music always evokes an emotional response which surely enhances the pleasure of painting.


Who of your peers do you respect the most?

Being a watercolour artist, I particularly admire those who paint in watercolours. I was delighted when Cherry Hood won the Archibald prize with her watercolour portrait of Simon Tedeschi. An American painter called Charles Demuth provided much inspiration in my early painting and teaching. And I have always loved Margaret Woodward's drawings and paintings.


When did you decide to become an artist?

I began drawing in my late thirties as a hobby and found myself - to my great surprise - at the City Art Institute (now Sydney College of the Arts) completing a BA VisArt. One thing led to another and my new life as an artist began.


What is your favourite colour?

I love Winsdor Blue (green shade) for its vibrancy and strength. Brown Madder is also a favourite, and more recently I have become very enthusiastic about Perylene Maroon, a beautiful deep red/maroon.


Do you have a favourite painting or work of art? If so, what is it?

Though I have several cherished works of art, one of my all time favourites would have to be Margaret Woodward's Peregrinations Across The Gibson (1988). On a personal note, I would never part with my own pencil drawings of our two daughters.

Pam Sackville's exhibition of watercolour paintings opens 24th of April, 3-5PM

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin