Friday, July 17, 2009

Artist Spotlight: Sam Wade

Eva Breuer Art Dealer is proud to present the first artist in our spotlight series, Sam Wade. Sam very kindly answered a few questions regarding inspiration, art, and his peers.

Who (or what) do you consider your artistic inspiration?

Everyday scenes often inspire my work , so it is important for me to leave the studio regularly. That combined with seeing an inspiring exhibition is ideal.


Do you listen to music while you work, and if so, what is most often playing?


Looking at my work people might be surprised by this but more often than not there will be a metal band playing in the background. I thought (or pretended) for a while that I might have grown out of it, but it turns out that I haven't and probably never will. Its a way to block (or blast?) out the outside world when I'm working. My parents came from classical music backgrounds, maybe there's some subconscious rebellion there.


Who of your peers do you respect the most?

All of them who are forging careers as painters, illustrators, sculptors etc despite all the inherent difficulties and uncertainties.

Do you have any habits/rituals or strange superstitions when painting?

I'll often put on a hat before working, even in the studio as if putting on a tie to go to work. A thinking cap perhaps?


When did you decide to become an artist?

I made the move to Sydney from Tasmania aged 18 carrying the ambition to make a career out of it. Prior to that I had been drawing for as long as I can remember, with much encouragement. My highschool football coach who had nicknames for everyone used to call me 'the artist' if I did something clever on the field. As silly and insignificant as it may seem, things like that may have helped in a strange way...I could play footy and be an artist. In a small Tasmanian town that seemed important at the time.


What is your favourite colour?

Ultramarine Blue has been a long term favourite on my palette.

Do you have a favourite painting or work of art? If so, what is it?

It changes all the time, but Streeton's 'The Railway Station' is a favourite Australian work. Degas' 'Absinthe Drinker' would be right up there.

Sam Wade's next exhibiton opens Saturday 17 October, 3-5PM. Click here to view works in progress from his new series.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin