Friday, July 24, 2009

Artist Spotlight: Song Ling

This week, Eva Breuer Art Dealer, would like to highlight Song Ling in our artist spotlight. According to Ling, "I like to use symbolic imagery from traditional culture in my work as there are many layers of meaning for me. But with these new paintings I am not just looking for symbolism and meaning, but also concentrating on the aesthetic to create paintings of beauty.

With this series of works I am seeking to represent the Childhood images, Chinese Zen style traditional ink and brush paintings and Asian comic characters in a new way; to give an ancient and pop image a contemporary look, to bring the symbol into a new technological context.

The modern printing process and digital technologies use the dot to produces images. I use a hand-painted dot to create my works.

The colours I use are often found in Chinese folk art and embroidery; I choose colours which have the strongest contrast to create tension in the work. Old technique versus new technique, traditional versus modern; color versus color. But still, I want to create paintings of beauty."

Who (or what) do you consider your artistic inspiration?

My parents

Do you listen to music while you work, and if so, what is most often playing?

Movie soundtracks by Eleni Karaindrou

Who of your peers do you respect the most?

my father

Do you have any habits/rituals or strange superstitions when painting?

alone

When did you decide to become an artist?

when I was in high school

What is your favorite colour?

Orange

Do you have a favourite painting or work of art? If so, what is it?

at the moment, paintings by Elisabeth Peyton.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin