Friday, July 31, 2009

Artist Spotlight: Tony Irving

Eva Breuer Art Dealer is proud to spotlight the work of contemporary artist Tony Irving this week. His show titled Other places, other views is opening on Saturday 12th of September with drinks from 3-5PM.

Who (or what) do you consider your artistic inspiration?

I'm inspired by the world around and the way people behave, whether in an inner-city lane in Sydney or Melbourne, or a piazza in Lucca in Italy.

Do you listen to music while you work, and if so, what is most often playing?

I play a lot Tom Waits but I also enjoy Baroque music and sometimes Fats Waller (when everything is going according to plan).

Who of your peers do you respect the most?

I admire any artist who can stay true to their ideals and continue to explore and develop their work.

The artist in his studio.

Do you have any habits/rituals or strange superstitions when painting?

I like to start the day with a completely clean palate and clean brushes.

When did you decide to become an artist?

I've never really thought of being anything else but an artist.

What is your favourite colour?

For me colour is all about the balance between many colours.

Do you have a favourite painting or work of art? If so, what is it?


I love Canaletto's Campo Santa Maria Formosa - it's so rich with figures and animals, detail and incident, and a wonderful composition as well. It sums up everything i would want to achieve in my own work.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin